Can we declare the end of the gas crisis?

The indicator of a gas crisis

Over the past year, I’ve been able to gauge how bad the gas crisis is by looking in my dad’s driveway.

Dad has a 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L V8 engine that he bought to lug around his 10,000 pound mobile espresso trailer. The Suburban is beautiful and decked out with all the luxuries…truly a joy to drive.

Except when the cost of that joy translates into a $150 hit at the pump.

Ideally my dad would drive this rig on all his daily trips, regardless of the 9 MPG he achieves. He’d love to take it to Costco, to go buy a Sunday newspaper, to take my kids out to dinner, whatever. Instead the gleaming white chariot sat in his driveway as gas crossed the $4 per gallon mark. He drove my mom’s 2000 Honda CR-V for such trips instead, saving a bundle in gas. The Suburban turned into an essential-business-use-only truck.

And then the price of gas dropped.

A couple of nights ago my parents picked up the kids to take them out to see a local stage production of Peter Pan. Dad’s car of choice? Here’s a hint: Gas now costs $1.84 per gallon.

Looking out my window and seeing his Suburban turn into my driveway was one of those ‘ah-ha’ moments as I realized that this must be the true indication that the gas crisis has ended.

It’s probably happening all over the country too, as thirsty V8s are being fired up again and people are excitedly hopping back into their SUVs.

The question is: Can gas prices stay down if we fall back into old habits? Leave your comments here!  

-tgriffith



Related posts:



Related posts:



0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий